#HearHerStory: Susan Heynen

Susan Heynen
Manufacturing Engineer
Caterpillar Inc.#HearHerStory / @womeninmfg

At Women in Manufacturing, we are committed to supporting women in the manufacturing sector. We firmly believe that mentorship and community-buildling will help attract and retain women in manufacturing.  As part of our mission, we feature on our blog the stories of women we admire who are currently working in manufacturing.  The following is the latest installment of our "Hear Her Story" series.

Please tell our readers a little bit about your job and what your work looks like every day.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer for Undercarriage RCWT off road construction in East Peoria, Illinois. When challenges and obstacles arise each day, I support, coordinate and direct the work needed to be done to resolve the issues. I am a diagnostic resource and support for shop floor maintenance technicians for bin picking. I provide technical and project leadership for the manufacturing process throughout the facility in the area of process maintenance and programming support. I track issues and fix root causes. I also am a liaison with other production facilities and corporate engineering teams for Full Link Heat Treat.

How did you arrive at your current position? What attracted you to a career in manufacturing?

I worked for a contract company within Caterpillar and needed more of a challenge, so I applied for positions with Caterpillar and was offered my present position. What attracted me in my current position was the automation. Caterpillar invested in building a “cell” with nine robots, three furnaces, two quenches and an induction system, and hired me to oversee this area. I went to college for an electronic degree because I knew there was a wide selection of jobs in this field. The jobs I have found most rewarding are in manufacturing in many aspects.

At WiM, much of our work is dedicated to refuting outdated stereotypes about the manufacturing sector: stereotypes like the workplaces are dirty and dangerous and that the field and skills required are a better fit for men. Have you encountered stereotypes like these in your education or career and how did you overcome them?

I certainly have worked in environments as mentioned. I show them what I am made of. I get in there, get dirty and greasy, do the hard work or even tedious work. I sometimes take charge and lead the direction with my head lifted high with confidence. I can wash my hands with soap and water later. Women are just as smart and capable as men and sometimes even more so—as we have ALL seen and experienced.

Research shows that women, especially women in STEM fields, do better if they have a mentor. Has mentorship played any role in your career?

When I started with Caterpillar in 2004 I had a Caterpillar manager that mentored me. We talked about my skills and goals. He helped give direction. When opportunities arose he helped get me in positions where I could develop and build more skills that landed my present position. Whatever job you have, learn more skills—they always take you to the next step. Having a mentor and someone that cares for your future and success is a blessing.

WiM recently unveiled new survey results. One of the key findings is that there is significant overlap between what young women want in careers and the attributes of careers in manufacturing today. But the survey also found that, too often, young women are not aware of the opportunities available in manufacturing. What do you think can be done to spread the word to women about career options in modern manufacturing?

I think it would be nice if teachers and coaches would encourage and talk about this to their students—also, if media would have TV commercials about women in business and manufacturing. How about showing commercials where there is a team of people working but, the majority of the hard workers are women? Show how men welcome and support their knowledge, thinking and abilities. I personally have roofed my house, laid a 30x30 block patio, gutted rooms of lathe and plaster, went to college, raised a son, managed my household, worked hard in manufacturing, and am debt free. You need determination and to be a Go-Getter. I started with nothing 30 years ago—no home or car.

Our survey also found that the majority of women in manufacturing today would recommend the sector to young women considering career options. Would you recommend a career in manufacturing? And, if so, why?

I definitely recommend women to pursue careers in manufacturing. I have worked in manufacturing for 24+ years. There are many areas to choose from in the manufacturing world. I have always been in engineering of some sort; in testing/evaluation, calibration and now a support role.

Nhận xét

Popular Posts